Thursday, October 25, 2007


"My only grudge against nature was that I could not turn my Lolita inside out and apply voracious lips to her young matrix, her unknown heart, her nacreous liver, the sea-grapes of her lungs, her comely twin kidneys" (Nabukov 165).

"It is not the artistic aptitudes that are secondary sexual characters as some shams and shamans have said; it is the other way around: sex is but the ancilla of art" (259).

"The moral sense in mortals is the duty
We have to pay on mortal sense of beauty" (283).

3 comments:

noelle_in_team said...

Prince is the best.
"Lolita
You're sweet-ah
But you'll never make a cheater out of me." I think you should listen to the song. It's probably as great as the book.

Hey, now you can talk about peeing in bottles all you want. Unfortunately, I have no similar stories to share.

DCP said...

For somebody whose first language was not English Nabokov certainly wrote some poetic prose.

eldani said...

It was a pleasure to hear from you and review you blog, colleague. I saw recently Kubrick's Lolita and found it amazing, though I have not read the book.

Thanks for stopping by and congrats on your son and marriage. If you have any pictures of the place where you live send them to me, I am curious. Keep in touch.